Diploma in Nursing
- Course Description
Parkway College’s Diploma in Nursing Programme is designed to provide students with sound and valuable educational experiences in Nursing that will prepare them to be competent nurses in various healthcare settings.
If you are seeking to widen your knowledge and your professional standing in the field of Nursing, look no further. This course will give you a broad and basic nursing education to equip you to meet the challenges in modern nursing. You will also learn from hospital experts with different nursing speciality to gain an understanding of this fulfilling and promising career.
Singapore is an ideal training environment for nurses owing to its high standards of healthcare delivery. Locally trained nurses registered with the Singapore Nursing Board (SNB) have the privilege of excellent career opportunities in Singapore as well as extensive career mobility worldwide. There are also increasing local and global demand for professional nurses.
- Course Objectives
Upon completion of this programme, you will gain professional foundation education grounded in behavioural, biological and nursing sciences, and geared you towards developing reflective and knowledgeable doers with empathy and a caring heart.
An introduction to leadership, management, patient education and counselling and patient safety helps students appreciate patient engagement in decision making, environmental safety, teamwork, collaboration, and individual and team leadership.
This broad-based education programme will further prepare nurses in the area of service orientation, critical thinking, problem-based learning, reflective learning, nursing research and alternative medicine therapies or practices.
- Course Code
- Course Structure
• Duration: 36 months on full-time basis
• Total curriculum hours: 3500
• Course Delivery: Delivered over 6 semesters
• Mode of delivery: Lectures, Tutorials, Case-Studies Discussions/Presentations, Assignments, Experiential Learning, Practical Session, Self-Directed and E-Learning.
• Course Commencement Date : To be advised
• Registration Closing Date
– International student : To be advised
– Local student : To be advised
- Course Outline
The course curriculum (2017) consists of 41 modules:
- • BHS1101 – Behavioural Science I
- • BLS1101 – Biological Science I
- • NSG1101 – Communication in Nursing Practice
- • NSG1102 – Fundamentals of Nursing
- • NSG1103 – Nursing Skills I
- • NSG1104 – Clinical Practicum I
- • BHS1201 – Behavioural Science II
- • BLS1201 – Biological Science II
- • NSG1201 – Community Health Nursing
- • NSG1202 – Law and Ethics in Nursing
- • NSG1203 – Critical Thinking and Problem Based Learning in Nursing
- • NSG1204 – Nursing Skills II
- • NSG1205 – Clinical Practicum II
- • BLS2101 – Biological Science III
- • BLS2102 – Pharmacology
- • NSG2101 – Nursing Management
- • NSG2102 – Nursing Science I
- • NSG2103 – Health Assessment
- • NSG2104 – Nursing Skills III
- • NSG2115 – Clinical Practicum III
- • BHS2201 – Behavioural Science III
- • BLS2201 – Biological Science IV
- • NSG2201 – Nursing Science II
- • NSG2202 – Women & Children’s Health Nursing
- • NSG2203 – Nursing Skills IV
- • NSG2204 – Clinical Practicum IV
- • BLS3101 – Biological Science V
- • NSG3101 – Nursing Science III
- • NSG3102 – Nursing Science IV
- • NSG3101 – Mental Health Nursing
- • NSG3104 – Nursing Research I
- • NSG3105 – Gerontology and Transitional Care in Nursing
- • NSG3106 – Nursing Skills V
- • NSG3107 – Clinical Practicum V
- • NSG3201 – Nursing Science V
- • NSG3202 – Emergency and Critical Care Nursing
- • NSG3203 – Perioperative Nursing
- • NSG3204 – Nursing Research II
- • NSG3205 – Nursing Skills VI
- • NSG3206 – Clinical Practicum VI
- • NSG3207 – Pre-Registration Consolidated Placement
* Please download Module Synopsis for the synopsis of each module.
- Who Should Attend
• Local GCE ‘O’ level students who wants to pursue a career in the field of Nursing
• International students with equivalent high school qualification
• Enrolled nurses who want to upgrade themselves
• Mid-career switchers who want to pursue Nursing as a career
- Entry Requirements
• School Leavers
Secondary school leavers with a minimum of 5 GCE “O” level credits:
- • English Language (Grade 1 to 7)
- • Elementary or Additional Mathematics (Grade 1 to 6)
- • One of the following science subjects (Grade 1 to 6)
- • Additional Combined Science
- • Additional Science
- • Chemistry
- • Combined Science
- • General Science
- • Human Biology
- • Human and Social Biology
- • Physical Science
- • Physics
- • Science (Biology and Physics)
- • Science (Biology and Chemistry)
- • Science (Physics and Chemistry)
- • Science (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics)
- • 2 other subjects (Grade 1 to 6)
The results attained from GCE “O” level examinations must be completed from no more than 2 attempts.
• Enrolled nurses with GPA of 3.0 or higher OR
• Enrolled nurses with 3 years post-enrolment work experience and a bridging course certificate acquired from Nanyang Polytechnic or Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
Applicants with overseas educational qualifications will be assessed by the Academic Board of the College.
• Similar requirements as for Singaporeans except they must have at least 5 SPM credits (this excludes Moral studies).
• Minimum successful completion of 10 years of primary and secondary school education with 5 credit passes – English, Mathematics, Science and 2 other subjects (or any valid equivalent).
• If the prior education was not conducted in English or have failed the English subject, the following assessments are acceptable:
- • IELTS assessment must be undertaken with a minimum overall score of 6.5.
- • TOEFL paper-based test with a minimum overall score of 550.
- • TOEFL internet-based test with a minimum overall score of 80.
Please refer to the Minimum Academic Qualification Table for more information.
• Must be at least 16 years old and above
• Must pass the medical examination
• Must not have the following conditions:
- • Active tuberculosis
- • Uncontrolled diabetes
- • Uncontrolled hypertension
- • Legal blindness
- • Uncontrolled asthma
- • Hepatitis B positive
- • Psychiatric conditions
- • Uncontrolled epilepsy
- • HIV
- • Hepatitis C
- • Any other medical conditions listed under Ministry of Health (MOH) restrictions
• Must provide proof of immunity to Hepatitis B
• Must be certified fit by medical practitioners to pursue the course
The above list is not exhaustive and other medical conditions shall be considered on a case by case basis.
- Course Assessment
• Clinical skills competency assessment
- Graduation Criteria
Parkway College shall award the Diploma in Nursing certificate when the student has met the following requirements:
- • achieve at least a Grade D for all examined subjects
- • pass the Pre-Registration Consolidated Practice (PRCP)
- • achieve a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and above, and achieve 207 module credits
- • met all financial and administrative obligations to the College; and
- • met any other requirements specific to the course.
- Certificate Awarded
Diploma in Nursing, awarded by Parkway College
- How To Apply
Submit a completed application form and a completed Medical Examination Report to Parkway College.
- Course Fees
• Course fees: S$8,667 (Singaporeans)
• Course fees: S$15,408 (Singapore Permanent Residents)
• Course fees: S$28,248 (International Students*)
• Application fee: S$214
• Enrolment fee: S$321
*International students may make payment via Flywire. Please visit the international payment page for more information.
- 1. Application fee is payable upon submission of Application form.
- 2. Enrolment fee is payable upon signing of PEI Student Contract.
- 3. Fees are inclusive of prevailing Government Goods & Services (GST) Tax.
- 4. For all other related fees, please refer to student policies on our website.
- 5. Parkway College reserves the right to postpone or cancel the course if minimum enrolment is not met.
- Send Course Brochure by E-mail
If you would like to send a copy of the course brochure to yourself or to a friend, simply enter your name and the e-mail address to send to via this form for the brochure to be automatically sent by e-mail.