Diploma in Optometry
- Course Description
The Diploma in Optometry (Part-Time) from Parkway College is the only qualification in Singapore designed to upgrade existing Opticians to Optometrists. This program has received provisional accreditation by the Optometrists and Opticians Board (OOB) of Singapore. Upon completion of the 3-year program, our graduates can apply to OOB for provisional registration as an Optometrist. All provisionally registered Optometrist must complete the Supervisory Framework before gaining full registration.
- Course Objectives
Upon completion of this programme, you will have the knowledge and skills confidence to contribute effectively to optical or healthcare trade. You are capable of independent optometric practice and demonstrate the following:
- • Knowledge of basic biomedical, behavioural and clinical sciences, especially as it relates to vision and the eye
- • Cognitive and motor skills
- • Professional and ethical values
- Course Code
- Course Structure
1. Duration: 36 months on part-time basis*
2. Total curriculum hours: 1920
3. Course delivery: Delivered over 6 semesters
4. Mode of delivery: Lectures, Tutorials, Practical and Clinical Placements
5. Intake commencement date: TBC
6. Registration closing date: TBC
*For more information on class schedules, please refer to DOP Appendix.
- Course Outline
The course consists of 28 modules:
- • DOP101 – General anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- • DOP102 – Biochemistry
- • DOP103 – Ocular Anatomy
- • DOP104 – Ophthalmic Optics
- • DOP105 – General Optics
- • DOP106 – General and Ocular Microbiology
- • DOP107 – Ocular Physiology
- • DOP108 – Physiological and Visual Optics
- • DOP109 – Fundamentals of Contact Lens
- • DOP110 – Introduction to Academic Writing
- • DOP201 – Clinical Optometry – General Examination 1
- • DOP202 – Ocular Pharmacology
- • DOP203 – Clinical Optometry – Instrumentation
- • DOP204 – Contact Lens Fitting
- • DOP205 – Ocular Pathology
- • DOP206 – Clinical Optometry – General Examination 2
- • DOP207 – Assessment and Management of Binocular Vision
- • DOP208 – Contact Lens Care and Complications
- • DOP209 – Clinical Methodology and Statistics
- • DOP301 – Business Management for Optometry Practice
- • DOP302 – Ophthalmic Dispensing
- • DOP303 – Clinical Practice 1
- • DOP304 – Contact Lens Clinical Practice 1
- • DOP305 – Clinical Practice 2
- • DOP306 – Contact Lens Clinical Practice 2
- • DOP307 – Community Health Optometry
- • DOP308 – Basic Psychology and Communication
- • DOP309 – Research Project
* Please download Diploma in Optometry Module Synopsis for the synopsis of each module.
- Who Should Attend
Registered Optician currently working in the optical industry who wants to upgrade to Optometrist.
- Entry Requirements
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and are required to possess all of the following:
- 1. Three GCE ‘O’ level credits in English, Mathematics and Science OR Nitec in Opticianry with a GPA of at least 3.5.
- 2. Is an OOB registered Optometrist (ie. CCO Holders) or Optician (D, D+R, Full, Conditional or Temporary) for 3 years.
Candidates with alternative qualifications that are equivalent to the above requirements may be considered on a case-by-case basis but this is subjected to OOB’s confirmation.
- Course Assessment
• Coursework assignment
• Written examination
• Practical examination
- Graduation Criteria
The College shall award the diploma when the student has met the following requirements:
• Passed all required modules;
• Attained a cumulative (final) GPA of at least 2.0 at the end of the course;
• Completed all necessary course works;
• Met all financial and administrative obligations to the College; and
• Met any other requirements specific to the course.
- Certificate Awarded
Diploma in Optometry, awarded by Parkway College
- How to Apply
• Course fees: S$57,780 (Singaporeans and Permanent Residents)
• Application fee: S$214
• Enrolment fee: S$321
- 1. Application fee is payable upon submission of application form.
- 2. Enrolment fee is payable upon signing of PEI Student Contract.
- 3. Fees are inclusive of prevailing Government Goods & Services Tax.
- 4. For all other related fees, please refer to student policies on our website.
- 5. Parkway College reserves the right to postpone or cancel the course if minimum enrolment is not met.
- SEE WHAT OUR GRADUATES SAY: