Use of Medical Terminology in Work Activities (WSQ)
- Course Description
This course aims to equip individuals with limited or no medical training, with the knowledge and skills to communicate clearly and effectively using medical terminology.
Participants will learn spelling, pronunciation and definition of medical terms. They will also discover the connections and relationships among root words, prefixes and suffixes, and learn to recognise the individual parts.
- Course Objectives
This course is designed for people working or wishing to work in the healthcare environment and do not have adequate training in medical terminology. It also aims to develop skills to communicate clearly and effectively with proper terminology to patients, healthcare staff and others.
- Course Outline
• Demonstrate understanding of the principles of medical terminology
- 1. Build and analyse common medical terms including root words, prefix and suffix
- 2. Identify commonly used medical abbreviations
- 3. Refer to appropriate sources when in doubt
• Use appropriate medical terminology and acronyms in interactions with healthcare professionals
- 1. Apply basic medical terminology in oral and written form
- 2. Seek clarification from appropriate healthcare professionals and appropriate sources when unsure of terminology
- 3. Understand and respond accordingly to organization’s documents which may contain basic medical terminology
• Explain basic medical terminology and acronyms in interactions with patients and next-of-kin
- 1. Engage patients or next of kin in communication according to organisational procedures
- 2. Explain simple medical terminology and abbreviations in simple terms to patients or next-of-kin in accordance with organizational procedures
- 3. Refer enquiry to medical staff if it is beyond the scope of knowledge
- Course Structure
Duration: 2 days (16 hours)
- Who Should Attend
- • Reception staff
- • Administrative staff
- • Clinic Assistants
- • Healthcare Assistants
- • Therapy Assistants
- • Allied Health staff
- • Support Services Staff
- Certificate Awarded
Upon successful completion and assessment of the training module, participants will receive a formal recognition through the award of a Statement of Attainment (SOA).
This SOA is a nationally recognized qualification indicating the participant’s ability or competence in a particular area. This means that the participant is certified by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) as being able to perform a task appropriate to his/her occupational level and work demands.
- Course Fee
Per participant: S$342.40 (full fee)
SCs/SPRs SMEs/SCs ≥ 40 yrs old WTS Full fee (inclusive 7% GST) $342.40 $342.40 $342.40 Training grant $256.00 $288.00 $304.00 Amount payable after training grant $86.40 $54.40 $38.40
SPR - Singapore Permanent Resident
SME - Small Medium Enterprise
WTS - Workfare Training Support Scheme
- 1. Fees are inclusive of prevailing Government Goods & Services Tax.
- 2. Parkway College reserves the right to postpone or cancel the courses if minimum enrolment is not met.
• Skills Development Funding* (SDF) is available for Singapore Citizens (SC) and Permanent Residents (SPR).
• SkillsFuture Credit** is eligible to be utilised for this course.
*SDF is subjected to SSG approval otherwise full fee will apply. Individual and company-sponsored candidates may apply. Please refer to SSG website for more information at http://www.ssg-wsg.gov.sg/
**All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses. Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website www.skillsfuture.sg/credit to choose from the courses available on the SkillsFuture Credit course directory.