Bachelor of Science (Honours) Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging
- Course Description
This Bachelor of Science degree programme (with honours) awarded by the University of Hertfordshire (UH) is offered in Singapore by Parkway College. It is aimed at preparing suitably qualified individuals to pursue a career in diagnostic radiography and medical imaging, which has good career prospects in Singapore and overseas.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging is a recognised qualification for the registration of Diagnostic Radiographers, as listed in the Schedule of Recognised Qualification by the Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC). For details, visit AHPC.
Reasons to Choose This Course
• UK Degree: You will be able to complete the full degree programme in Singapore and save cost as compared to studying in the UK. This is a built-in professional honours degree programme and can be completed in three years.
• Teaching Excellence: You will be working with a reputed University and Parkway College, who believe in teaching excellence.
• Clinical Placements: Placements are organized for students so that they can apply the skills learnt, under supervision. Skills training are conducted with state of-the-art equipment and facilities.
• Employability: Diagnostic radiography provides excellent career prospects with the opportunity for continuous career development. Diagnostic Radiographers are well sought after in Singapore and overseas.
- Course Objectives
The course aims to produce graduates who possess the knowledge, skills and competencies to be professional diagnostic radiographers. As reflective practitioners, they will be flexible and responsive in their approach to the needs of patients and the service.
While graduates are committed to the enhancement of health and social care through inter-professional collaboration, they will also recognise the need for continued professional development and lifelong learning in a constantly changing healthcare environment.
- Course Code
(*Course code for course preview registration)
- Course Structure
1. Duration: 36 months on full-time basis
2. Total curriculum hours: 3600
3. Course delivery: Delivered over 9 semesters
4. Mode of delivery: Lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops, practical laboratory sessions, group work, clinical placements* and independent study
5. Course commencement date: 17 September 2018
- *Notes of clinical placements
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging programme’s learning outcomes are achieved through a combination of clinical placements and academic education. Both environments allow the development of knowledge, understanding and intellectual, practical and transferable skills.
Clinical placement learning is an integral and essential part of the programme with students spending approximately half of their time on clinical placements where necessary skills, practices and clinical education are taught and learnt.
Clinical placements provide essential experience for students, which enable them to reach a required level of competence in diagnostic imaging, and this is not normally less than 1200 clinical hours. It is the joint responsibility of the Parkway College and clinical placement sites that appropriate and effective learning takes place within clinical sites and students are afforded the opportunity to meet intended learning outcomes which relate to practice placements.
Students are made aware of their responsibilities when on placement through preparation for practice sessions that take place at the Parkway College prior to going to placement sites. At the beginning of the first clinical placement, students are reminded of this when attending an orientation programme that each clinical site prepares and delivers. Additional reminders and ongoing support are provided by Clinical staff, (particularly mentors), Clinical Coordinators and Link Lecturers.
- Course Outline
The course consists of 16 modules:
- • 4FHH1157 – Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for Imaging 1
- • 4FHH1158 – Principles and Applications of Imaging Science 1
- • 4FHH1159 – Radiographic Practice and Image Evaluation 1
- • 4FHH1160 – Preparation for Professional Practice 1
- • 4FHH1161 – An Introduction to Inter-professional Education
- • 5FHH1169 – Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for Imaging 2
- • 5FHH1170 – Principles and Applications of Imaging Science 2
- • 5FHH1171 – Radiographic Practice and Image Evaluation 2
- • 5FHH1172 – Preparation for Professional Practice 2
- • 5FHH1173 – Radiographic Research Methods
- • 6FHH1131 – Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for Imaging 3
- • 6FHH1132 – Principles and Applications of Imaging Science 3
- • 6FHH1133 – Radiographic Practice and Image Interpretation 3
- • 6FHH1134 – Preparation for Professional Practice 3
- • 6FHH1135 – Preparation for Research in Radiography
- • 6FHH1136 – Enhancing Health and Social Care through Inter-professional Education
*The curriculum is reviewed and validated every 5 years by the University, and may be subject to change.
* Please download Module Synopsis for the synopsis of each module.
- About University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
The University is the UK’s leading business-facing University and an exemplar in the sector. It is innovative and enterprising and challenges individuals and organisations to excel.
The University of Hertfordshire is one of the region’s largest employers with over 2,700 staff and a turnover of almost £238 million. With a student community of over 24,600 including more than 3,800 overseas students, the University has a global network of over 210,000 alumni.
For more information, please visit http://www.herts.ac.uk
- Who Should Attend
This programme is designed for those who have completed their GCE ‘A’ Levels in Science subjects, as well as polytechnic graduates with a diploma in the science field.
- Entry Requirements
• Candidates must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident, and be 18 years and above, and meet the Academic and Health Requirements to apply.
• A minimum of 5 GCE ‘O’ level passes with English, Mathematics and Science, AND
• GCE ‘A’ level (or equivalent) with at least one science at A level, with an overall UCAS Tariff System score of 280*, OR
• Students with a Degree or Polytechnic Diploma in the science field, with at least a GPA of 2.0, may also apply.
*Please refer to the FAQ for the UCAS Tariff System Table score for tabulation of the UCAS Score.
Due to the unique requirements of healthcare professions, all applicants should be free from physical handicap and are required to undergo medical examination before they can be enrolled into the programme.
While not exhaustive, the following conditions may result in non-acceptance into the programme:
• HBsAG positive / Hepatitis B carrier
• Positive Hepatitis C antibody
• Positive HIV antibody
• Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)
• Candidates are required to attend and pass a selection panel interview before they can be enrolled into the programme.
• The panel interview will take place after the submission of the Application Form and required documents. Successful candidates will proceed to under go medical examination and submit a medical examination report.
*Please refer to How to Apply tab for more information.
- Course Assessment
• Semester examination
• Oral assessment
• Group presentation
• Clinical portfolio
- Graduation Criteria
The University of Hertfordshire shall award the Bachelor of Science (Honours) Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging when the student has met the following requirements:
• Passed all required modules;
• Completed all necessary course works;
• Met all financial and administrative obligations to the College; and
• Met any other requirements specific to the course.
- Certificate Awarded
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging, awarded by the University of Hertfordshire.
- How To Apply
Submit a completed application form together with a personal statement, and supporting documents to Parkway College.
The personal statement is your opportunity to tell the college and the university about your suitability for the course that you hope to study.
The panel interview will take place after the submission of the Application Form and required documents. Candidates who pass the panel interview will be notified to complete and submit a medical examination report.
Please visit the Course Application Page for instructions on how to make an application.
• Course fees: S$75,435 (Singaporeans and Permanent Residents)
• Application fee: S$214
• Enrolment fee: S$321
- 1. Application fee is payable upon submission of Application form.
- 2. Enrolment fee is payable upon signing of PEI Student Contract.
- 3. Fees are inclusive of prevailing Government Goods & Services Tax.
- 4. For all other related fees, please refer to student policies on our website.
- 5. Parkway College reserves the right to postpone or cancel the course if minimum enrolment is not met
- See What Our Graduates Say!
“The Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging course in Parkway College ensured that I could stay on home ground and yet attain an honours degree that is internationally recognised. ”
Hider Bin Omar, Graduate
“The degree is great for those who love a challenge, and like working in a fast-paced environment, You have to like being a team player too, as one works with other healthcare professionals”
Haruna Elangovan, Graduate
“Radiography is great for those with a strong interest in biology and physics, and who love to work with sophisticated technology. We learn about human anatomy and have to understand how the machines work. Apart from being a clinical radiographer, I can go into teaching, management or research in the future.”
Nur Hanisah Nordin, Graduate
“Through clinical placements offered during this course, I was able to get out of my comfort zone and interact with patients and staff to further improve my interpersonal skills. Apart from that, clinical placements also provided me with essential hands-on practice to help me better understand concepts taught in school.”
Jasena D/O Ramdas, Graduate
I enjoyed learning more about anatomy and physiology – I found the medical conditions, diseases and uncommon pathology that we covered in our classes fascinating. And I like how the course wasn’t just theoretical – we had regular hands-on practice sessions to learn how to position patients during procedures.
Fong Xiwen, Graduate
Articles Featuring Our Students and Graduates
- Send Course Brochure by E-mail
If you would like to send a copy of the course brochure to yourself or to a friend, simply enter your name and the e-mail address to send to via this form for the brochure to be automatically sent by e-mail.